Brick Paver Maintenance
Is Brick Paver Maintenance Important?
When was the last time you thought of brick paver maintenance for your driveway or patio? Don’t be surprised if brick pavers look worn out, dirty, or even weedy if you have not done anything to prevent it. Brick pavers can even start to move and shift if gone neglected.
Brick paver restore tips for driveway & patio
- Determine if there has been any movement or settling of pavers. Repair these areas according to the brick paver manufacturer’s specifications. This will require digging up an area to confirm that the base was done correctly in the first place. If not, you have bigger chore on your hands of redoing the base of that area or possibly the entire brick paver walk, patio, drive, etc.
- Pressure wash your brick pavers with about 2700 psi power washer or greater. You may or may not need to use a paver cleaner during this process.
- Spread joint sand into the joints of the brick pavers and spray the driveway or patio with a light spray from a garden hose. Sweep sand and spray with water a second time to ensure joints are full of joint sand. Once the bricks are dry, make sure the joints are full with joint sand. This helps with brick stability.
- Next apply joint stabilizing sealer on the brick pavers. The sealer hardens the sand and helps prevent water intrusion in the joints.
- If desired you can apply a brick paver sealer. There are many options when choosing brick paver sealers. Some will have a glossy wet look which often darkens the color of you pavers (the choice is yours). Some paver sealers have a matte finish while others are completely invisible. The sealer will create a durable barrier against liquids on the brick paver itself. Brick paver sealers will help prevent stains and will keep your pavers looking cleaner much longer. Some high end pavers have a stain resistant surface and this step is unnecessary. Follow the instructions of the sealer’s manufacturer on how to apply it properly.
By following this tips you will enhance the look, help maintain the structural integrity, and lower the amount of yearly maintenance on your brick pavers.